IDENTIFIED AREAS OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
(1) Development of Methodology for life assessment of existing bridges and procedures for upgradation by strengthening or retrofitting.
(2) Development of Methodology for rating of bridges.
(3) Assessment of dynamic loading and its effects on bridges including, life estimate and design for fatigue.
(4) Long span bridge aerodynamics.
(5) Studies of pre-stressed conrete technology for bridges. Use of of precast components.
(6) Development of Software for analysis, design and drafting of bridges.
(7) Vulnerability studies on approaches to railway bridges.
(8) Use of high performance concrete in bridge structures.
(9) Inspection, maintenance and instrumentation of bridges.
(10) Codes and standards for bridges.
DYNAMICS OF RAIL VEHICLE SYSTEMS
(1) Rail/Wheel materials and profile design, including optimization and tolerances, improved ride quality of rolling stock, and fuel efficiency.
(2) Rail-wheel rolling contact problem.
(3) Steerability, stability and response of railway vehicles, including self excited instabilities inherent in vehicle design.
(4) Design and development of railway carriages for high speed, including ride quality, and safety.
(5) Response of railway vehicles on curved track.
(6) Inspection of track and rolling stock, track quality assessment, preventive maintenance and instrumentation of railway systems.
(7) Design and development, modelling and simulation of bogies, freight track of suspensions - rubber, pneumatic, active etc.
(8) Interaction between railway vehicles and bridges.
(9) Train aerodynamics studies.
(10) Longitudinal train dynamics.